Academic Supercomputing in Europe
Population: 10.6 million
GDP/capita: € 17,300
Supercomputing facilities for the academia
- CTI: Beowulf cluster (10 PIII/800)
- GRNET (HG01 @ Demokritos): Beowulf cluster (136 Xeon/2800)
- IASA: Beowulf cluster (28 Athlon/2000 + 30 Xeon/3000)
- ICS-FORTH: Beowulf Cluster (64 AMD/1266)
- NTUA (CSLAB): Beowulf cluster (8 PIII/1266), Beo-wulf cluster (16 PIII/800), Beowulf cluster (16 PIII/500), 2×Sun HPC450/4
- University of Athens: HP V2600/48
- University of Macedonia: Beowulf Clusters (65 PIII/266, 6 PII/266, 4 P4/2000)
- University of Patras: Beowulf Cluster (10 PIII/800)
- University of Thessaloniki: Beowulf cluster (15 P4/2800 + 16 PIII/1266)
National academic network
GRNET, the national research and technology network connects 7 major cities at 622 Mbps speed. International connectivity
is via 2 622 Mbps links to GÉANT. GRNET has connections to all Greek universities and research centres and provides VPN
services to the primary and secondary educational institutions. GRNET is being upgrading to a network based on DWDM technology, GRNET2.
GRNET is funded by the Ministry of Development. The budget for 2005 is € 13 million.
The Local Office of the Information Society – Ministry of Economy and Finance established in December 2002 the HellasGrid task force.
Its task is to define the basic strategy and guidelines for the Greek national, regional and international grid activities. In the framework of the
Hellasgrid Task Force a € 2 million proposal has been approved that will develop computing, storage and virtual collaboration infrastructures,
complemented with operation, middleware, security, training and dissemination activities.
The infrastructure of HellasGrid will consist of 6 clusters with a total of 768 CPUs and 90 TB
storage. The clusters will be located in Athens (3), Thessaloniki, Patras and Heraclion-Crete.
Acquisition and upgrade plans
Hellasgrid: 6 Beowulf Clusters (128 Xeon/3000) under development.
List of abbreviations
- CSLAB Computing Systems Laboratory
- CTI Research Academic Computer Technology Institute, Patras
- GRNET Greek Research and Technology Network
- IASA Institute of Accelerating Systems and Applications
- ICS-FORTH Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas / Institute of Computer Science
- NTUA National Technical University of Athens
Contacts and Addresses
Greek Research & Technology Network, GRNET
56, Mesogion Avenue
115 27 Athens
Pick another country