Academic Supercomputing in Europe
Population: 10.5 million
GDP/capita: € 15,700
The Foundation for the Development of National Computation Capabilities (FCCN) aims to establish and operate national
supercomputing facilities for the academic community. At this moment, however, there is no national facility operational.
Supercomputing facilities for the academia
- INESC-NM: Beowulf cluster (8 P4/2540)
- LIP: Beowulf cluster (27 PIII/(500-866)+1 P4/1400)
- University of Algarve: Beowulf cluster (8 AMD XP/1500)
- University of Lisbon: Beowulf cluster (8 Opteron/2400)
National academic network
RCTS is the Portuguese research network for the universities and research laboratories. The network has been established
and is managed by FCCN.
The backbone operates at 1.2 Gbps. The international connection to GÉANT is 622 Mbps.
The 2004 budget is € 6 million. 65% of this budget is provided by the government.
List of abbreviations
- FCCN Fundação para o Desenvolvimento dos Meios Nacionais de Cálculo Científico (Foundation for the Development
of National Computation Capabilities)
- INESC-MN Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores - Microsistemas e Nanotecnologias, Lisbon
- LIP Laboratory for the research in the field of experimental High Energy Physics and associated Instrumentation
Contacts and Addresses
Avenida do Brasil 101
Pick another country